PFM Logo Fokker Triplane Model T Curtiss Canuck

Fokker D.VII Project Update - 14 February 2002

Ailerons

D.VII upper wing with aileron

Mike DeBlasis has been working on the steel-framed ailerons, along with their control horns and the control cable pulleys that will fit onto the wooden wing structure. Wayne Jones has been making the aileron hinges, making sure they fit properly on both the ailerons and the wing structure. In addition, the top wing fittings and internal brace wires have been fitted.

The aileron's wire trailing edge has been added and the unit features significantly stronger hinges than standard Fokker practice in 1918. This includes thicker straps and collars with the entire affair welded together.


Wing Details

D.VII upper wing strut fitting & control pulley

The big chunk of wood running through the photo in the upper half of the photo is the rear face of the rear spar of the top wing. Mounted to it is the green strap and socket fitting which mounts the rear of the interplane strut (the "N" strut) to the wing. Adjacent to it is the control cable pulley which bends the cables 90 degrees to the aileron control horn just visible in the lower right. The bracket needs to be painted "Fokker Green".


D.VII upper wing aileron area

The big wooden chunk in the lower half of the photo is the front face of the rear spar with the aileron spar above it (actually behind, of course!). Again we see the green socket, fitting and strap for the interplane mount with the pulley bracket backing plate (white) next to it. Note the "dogbone" steel fitting which anchors the internal bracing cable at the outer end. This part needs to be blasted, primed and painted "Fokker Green". The white bracket backing plate needs to be painted also.

On the aileron spar we see the wooden reinforcement required due to the aileron spar cut-out needed to give the aileron horns the free travel they need during aileron deflection. The green vertical fitting to the right of the reinforcement block is where the aileron hinge straps bolt onto the structure of the wing. These little green bits are original Fokker parts, but their source is uncertain... they are certainly the proper type of fitting for a 1918 Fokker D.VII but may have come from a post-war Fokker C1.